Software testing determines the performance and the success of a product in the market by ensuring that it meets user’s expectations. Thus, testing your software applications at every stage is crucial.
Most businesses have moved to automation to improve their testing process and release cycles. Also, considering the continuous updates and fixes in SDLC, manual testing is no longer a viable approach to rely on. However, performing automation testing is not that simple; you need a reliable automation tool. Even to execute manual tests, you need an automation testing tool.
In the past few years, the purpose of automation testing tools has slightly shifted from shortening testing times to better test coverage and efficient test cases. And having the right automation tool can help you achieve that easily. Using the right automation tool at the right time will help you deliver a quality product at speed.
But considering the number of QA automation tools available in the market, it’s not easy to select the best. This article talks about some of the best QA automation tools available in the market to help you with your testing requirements.
Things to Look for When Selecting a QA Automation Tool
When looking for an automation tool, make sure you check out the following criteria:
- The user interface must be clean and easy to use
- Comes with good tech support, tutorials, or training
- Integrated with a robust documentation process with exportable search results
- Works with a variety of scripted languages to execute test across all applications
- Supports a large number of testing commands with subtle modifications and changes
- Offers easy integration with other testing frameworks or plug-ins
- Provides value for money based on the features, capabilities, and use cases
7 Best QA Automation Testing Tools
There is no doubt about Selenium being the best automation testing tool. It is an open-source testing suite ideally designed for web application testing. It consists of four different testing utilities, including Selenium IDE, Selenium WebDriver, Selenium RC, and Selenium Grid. All these tools cater to meet different testing requirements of a project. It is equipped with advanced testing features, such as;
- An open-source testing suite ideal for automating all web applications and sites
- Compatible for multiple browsers, operating systems, and devices to test cross browser compatibility testing
- Offers easy integration with multiple testing tools like TestNG, Jenkins, and more
- Features detailed and advanced automation scripts support execution of parallel tests
- Provides browser-based automation suites and tests for regression testing, quick bug reproduction scripts, and the ability to manage multiple environments from a central point
- Selenium is a feature-rich and open-source testing suite that can help beginners and intermediate testers test their web applications.
If you need a tool that can fulfill your web app’s testing requirements, LambdaTest is an excellent option. It is a cloud-based testing utility that enables you to perform multiple tests on your site, including unit testing, functionality testing, responsive testing, cross-browser testing, and many more. What makes this tool unique from others is that you can perform manual and automated cross-browser testing across more than 2000+ browsers, operating systems, and devices.
- Perform live interactive and automated cross browser testing on 2000+ real browsers, OS, and devices
- Integrated with a secure, scalable, and reliable Selenium grid to run your tests across desktop, Android, and iOS browsers
- Integrated with bug tracking developer tools to help you track bugs in your code quickly
- Allows testing of locally hosted web pages in real-time to save your site from deployment bugs
- Generate multiple screenshots of testing cycles to share with your team members
LambdaTest is one of the most cost-efficient automation testing tools available in the market that can be integrated with other testing frameworks as per requirements.
Ideally designed for continuous functional automation testing, mabl is an intelligent automation testing tool that provides fast-paced delivery testing cycles. It allows you to integrate end-to-end tests into the entire development lifecycle. It offers multiple functionalities and features to test web applications, including;
- A perfect testing framework for end-to-end testing in the software development lifecycle
- Enable you to standardize on a cloud-native testing platform while allowing each team member to contribute to automated test creation and quality
- Offers quick integration into existing workflows with bug tracking, CI/CD, communication tools, and more
- It allows you to create tests based on key user flows in the applications
- Collects diagnostic data to create AI-driven insights that increase confidence in deployment and enable swift test failure analysis
The cost of mabl depends on the functionality and test you need to run; however, you can use the trial version to check its functioning.
Known as the world’s first free cloud-based automation platform, TestProject enables you to test web, Android, and iOS applications across all operating systems. It uses advanced built-in recording capabilities to create and add-ons for your tests. Besides, it offers smooth collaboration with your team by using the Selenium and Appium to maintain the quality and speed of tests.
- A free cloud-based testing framework that can help you automate your testing cycle quickly
- Allow you to develop coded tests with the powerful SDK that is also free to install and use
- Doesn’t require any complex setup or configurations to begin the testing process
- Comes with record and playback functionality to check your testing scripts
- Ideal for beginners even without any coding knowledge or skills
- Offers seamless integration with the continuous integration and continuous delivery workflow
TestProject is an ideal and easy-to-use automation framework for beginners who are new to the testing field. It even allows you to create, store, execute, debug, and deploy tests anywhere.
Automation testing also takes time to execute test cases, Appsurify is specially designed to reduce automation test completion times. It is ideal for both QA engineers and developers to help them test more frequently, find defects earlier, and speed up the automation cycle times. It finds the correct subset for automated tests to match the particular code changes while improving the test cycles ten times faster.
- A plug and play testing tool that can save you up to 90% times in your automation testing cycles and provide immediate results
- Provides the ability to plug into existing testing environments, whether it’s Cloud or On-premises
- Identify and executes a small set of automated tests to verify the specific code changes
- Finds defects in your testing cycles and maps them to the code to help you focus on your manual testing
- Quarantines flaky failures to avoid breaking in builds while identifying the risks in recent commits
- Easy integration with multiple testing frameworks, such as Selenium, Appium, etc.
Appsurify is an excellent automation testing tool, but it takes some time to learn the tool from historical data. However, once you get hands-on experience of the utility, you can reduce your testing time by more than 90%.
For those who are looking for codeless automation testing tools, TestArchitect could be your perfect choice. It focuses on scaling up automation coverage and productivity by leveraging Keyword-Driven testing. With TestArchitect, you can achieve 80% automation coverage with a small number of technical testers. It is equipped with advanced capabilities that make it seamless to test your site.
- A complete codeless automation testing framework that utilizes a modern form of keyword-driven testing for high reusability
- Combined with intuitive spreadsheet IDE just like Excel to create reports for testing scenarios
- Support all types of testing requirements, including cross-browser, mobile testing, API, computer-vision testing, etc.
- Supports all the operating systems to test web app responsiveness like Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android
- Provides multiple plug-ins with the leading CI/CD/DevOps tools like Azure DevOps, Jenkins, TFS, etc.
TestArchitect is ideally designed for individuals who don’t want to write their test scripts to test applications. It is available at a cost-effective price to begin your testing journey.
It is another open-source automation testing tool that supports web, mobile, API, and desktop testing environments. It offers easy integration with both Selenium and Appium to simplify the automation testing scenarios. Katalon Studio allows testers to set up, create, run, report, and manage automated tests effectively. It comprises ultimate features that smoothness the overall testing life cycle.
- An open-source automation testing tool that offers both codeless test creation for novice and endless script extension and customization for experts
- Build and execute tests on multiple operating systems like macOS, Linux, Windows, and most common browsers
- Provides a host of integrations for various purposes, such as SDLC, CI/CD management, team collaboration, and much more
- Support a behavior-driven development framework, Cucumber, to write tests in simple language
- Works with multiple management tools, such as JIRA, Git, Slack, and other bug management tools
Katalon Studio uses Groovy as its scripting language and supports an external Java library. Though it is a little more expensive than other testing tools, Katalon Studio does provide scalability and reliability for software testing.
Having a reliable and secure automation testing tool is crucial for every software development company to deliver quality products and applications. If you’re also looking for automation testing tools, the above list can help you in your quest. It includes both open-source and paid automation testing tools to help you choose a framework as per your requirements.